Total Pageviews

Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday~ "e" is for pamp"e"ring & r"e"pairing

Spa night! What a great day it's going to be, I was thinking leaving early for work to not have to rush since they're doing construction on the road. (no road closures posted on Friday were a good thing you'd think, right?) well they should have... this is what happened. ALL I have to say is they'd better pay for it. It's their fault they didn't close the road & have flag people directing where they should drive on the 2 lane highway!


RE: Incident on County Road V 8:25am Monday 5/9/11
Was driving down the road & saw the sign that said 1 lane road ahead. Was already driving 20 MPH (below recommended 35mph posted signs) Slowed down to about 15mph as I saw a gravel pile (strip) in the middle of my southbound lane extending down the middle of the road approx 3-5” high. The pile continued on up toward the hill & very rapidly increased to approx 10-12” deep in the middle of the southbound lane. My car had straddled this strip putting me in the middle of my lane in anticipation that it would remain about 3-5” high. I pulled out into the oncoming traffic lane as I could see the pile was getting even deeper & carefully pulled out into the oncoming lane.
  I drove thru it, my car continuing to be bottoming out & FINALLY approached the work vehicles that were stopped in the middle of the northbound lane a good .25 mile after I had my car hitting the deep pile & then getting out of it.

I rolled down my window & told the guy that my car was bottoming out & said I didn’t think I could get back over the rut I also asked him if the road was closed up ahead or if there was more gravel that deep. He said to stay on the far side of my lane & there should be room. He kicked down the pile so I could drive back over it to get back into the lane I should have been in. The rest of the drive was VERY narrow at points but I was at least able to stay out of the gravel I continued to drive very slowly as I fear the damage to my car had already occurred.
 There should have been signs posted over the weekend that they were going to be working on the road & sticking obstructions that high into the lanes & on the road during this time. I would have taken a different route into Holmen.
      My car is now making horrible noises while in idle & sounds even worse when put into reverse. I’m now taking my car in for an estimate which will cost me $30-$60 since this wasn’t an issue before this morning & is now a huge concern as I fear something might have happened that could be very serious, since it sounds that bad. I’m VERY disappointed that residents weren’t warned sooner that the road would be impassible or that there wasn’t flag people further back before the obstruction was too deep in the middle of the lane saying to keep right, or something. ROAD CLOSED would have been appropriate…. Since now I have to take the time to get my car fixed due to my AM commute & figure out how to get everywhere for at least a few days.
 I would NEVER have driven my car in the lane or have driven it thru that deep of gravel had I known that there would have been that kind of obstruction in the middle of the southbound lane.

OK, so I get to rant since I was WIDE awake thankfully when this happened.
• Breakfast~ Choc. MRS
• Lunch~ Pad Thai meal in a box. 33% sodium... :P but only 330 calories so it could have been worse. No HFCS & were rice noodles so not a terrible choice & it wasn't like I'd purchased it recently so it had to get eaten at some point in time.
• Dinner~ 1 venison steak, 2c. fresh/frozen zucchini, 1Tbs. fresh/frozen pumpkin, 3 choc PB bunnies

2 comments:

  1. I assume that Jamie got through before they started the road construction activity then. That at least was good that both cars didn't get damage. was it finished by the time you got home?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! They seem to start the construction at 8am. It was VERY good that both cars weren't damaged. Turns out that the damage was minimal on what needs to get fixed but there are potential problems that they said might or might not need to be fixed in the future. $730.00 estimate was submitted to the county. For new radiator/& assembly & for having to pull & rebend a lot of under shields on the car. Not too much out of pocket yet. Car is also still making noises in reverse. They're not sure if it's the breaks or the rear shocks.

    ReplyDelete